The Access to Medicine Foundation is looking for an all-round Communications Officer – someone with a particular interest in developing online and social channels, and who can create and carry out new tactics to strengthen our campaigning approach.
What you will be doing
You will support our communications team across all tools and channels. You will focus on managing our online and social channels, including reshaping research and content to appeal to different audiences. You will work with the team in making, publishing and leveraging our research reports, such as the Access to Medicine Index, including media and stakeholder outreach. You will also be responsible for maintaining an up-to-date bank of communications tools (photos, images, slides, logos, etc.) for use in campaigns, events and online. This is a broad role in a highly collaborative team, where all members are expected to come forward with new ideas and play an active role in shaping our approach to communications. You will report to the Director of Communications.
Salary: Competitive, depending on experience
Position: Communications Officer
Contract: Full-time, initially 1 year, renewable
Experience: 2 years
About the Foundation
The Access to Medicine Foundation is a non-profit organisation based in Amsterdam. Our mission is to stimulate and guide pharmaceutical companies to do more for the 2 billion people worldwide who cannot access the medicine they need. The core pillar of our work is researching how pharmaceutical companies address the affordability and accessibility of their products in poorer countries. To turn our research into real-world change, we engage with leading organisations, including companies, NGOs and governments.
Our communications are seen by a wide network of experts and groups, including pharmaceutical companies and industry watchers, governments, international agencies such as the United Nations and World Health Organization, pharma journalists, investors and global health professionals and academics.
Communications at the Foundation
You will be joining an inventive Communications Team of 5, where all members take a hands-on approach. Our teamwork style is highly collaborative, with clear ownership of different streams and
projects. We work closely with colleagues at all levels of the organisation, including the Executive Director and members of the strategy and research teams. We are responsible for:
- Managing the Foundation’s brand and reputation among our various stakeholder groups;
- Making, publishing and leveraging our reports and publications, including media and stakeholder outreach (launch and campaign management);
- Developing, maintaining and updating our communications tools and channels, including online;
- Facilitating messaging (research-driven and corporate), and supporting our spokespeople;
- Organising events (in-house and external);
- Managing and triggering engagement with journalists and the media.
- Preparing corporate communications (e.g., annual report)
What will your main tasks and responsibilities be?
- Web and digital channel management (incl. analytics): including developing and implementing a web strategy, making and updating sites and pages, content management, SEO and analytics.
- Develop, produce and distribute content across various channels and platforms, including newsletters, presentations, online and in social channels.
- Event & speaking coordination including managing the event calendar, preparing and evaluating speaking engagements for Foundation team members at global events
- Make and manage slide/PPt sets: make and manage corporate slide decks, make new slide decks for speaking events as needed.
- Comms tool database: maintain and update the Foundation’s database of PDFs, images, photos, slide decks, logos, media lists, etc.
- Project management, planning and support (as needed): including direct mailing, media campaigns, newsletters
- House style management
Content creation – including web and social
- Proven ability to develop and adapt visual and written content, particularly for web and social channels;
- Excellent at designing and making PPt presentations;
- Making complex ideas accessible and tailoring messages to different audiences and stakeholders.
Channel and project management
- Excellent at making detailed project plans and channel strategies, executing them and
- evaluating success/impact
- Excellent at gathering and interpreting data from key performance metrics (analytics)
- Excellent at managing ongoing processes and recurrent tasks, alongside one-off tasks and projects
Stakeholder and media outreach and leveraging communications
- Proven ability to identify and profile key stakeholders (including media contacts) in relation to specific topics
- Able to anticipate and meet the communications needs of different stakeholders
- Proactive, with a proven ability to work independently
- Results- and action-oriented, with a pragmatic, hands-on mentality
- Agile and stress-resistant: able to work to multiple deadlines and think creatively when under pressure
- Highly proficient in English and preferably in Dutch
Experience and qualifications
- Essential: 2 years’ experience as a communications officer or in an equivalent role, preferably with a focus on digital/social communications
- Experience of planning, executing and evaluating international communications campaigns and working in multiple project teams at the same time
- Experience of using social media (preferably Twitter and LinkedIn) and/or online platforms to achieve specific communications objectives
- Experience of gathering and analysing data to evaluate communications activities
- An advantage: experience of media outreach
- An advantage: qualifications in Communications Sciences or equivalent (e.g., Media Science, Digital Communications Management)
- Experience of using: MS Word, MS PowerPoint, Gmail, Mailchimp (or similar), WordPress (or similar), Google Analytics, Excel, TweetDeck (or similar).
How to apply
Is this the job for you? To apply, show us what you can do: send your CV (max. 2 pages) as well as a portfolio of your most relevant campaigns with a short cover note. At the Foundation, if you see an opportunity to improve how we work, we encourage you to make the most of it. We’re curious to know how you would shape our communications.
Please apply by email to Mireille Deen at firstname.lastname@example.org. Interviews will take place on a rolling basis. Start date: immediately.