Are you a keen copy-editor who thrives on crafting crisp clear prose? Are you able to deftly trim and edit written input to produce new texts as well as strong supporting visuals? The Access to Medicine Foundation is looking for a Writer/Editor who excels at balancing text and visuals to make the message shine through.
About the Foundation
The Access to Medicine Foundation is a non-profit organisation based in Amsterdam. Our mission is to stimulate and guide pharmaceutical companies to do more for the 2 billion people worldwide who cannot access the medicine they need. The core pillar of our work is researching whether and how pharmaceutical companies are addressing the accessibility of their medicines and vaccines in poorer countries. To turn our research into real-world change, we engage with leading organisations, including companies, NGOs and governments. Our communications are seen and used by a wide network of experts and groups, including pharmaceutical companies and industry watchers, governments, international agencies such as the United Nations and World Health Organization, pharma journalists, investors and global health professionals and academics.
What you will be doing
As Writer/Editor, you will focus on copy-writing and on copy- and content- editing, and on developing visuals that support our messages. You will plan and produce content for the Foundation’s social media channels (Twitter and LinkedIn), and work on a broad range of communications tools, from research reports and policy briefs, to headlines, web content, slide decks and direct mails. You will work closely with our publications team, policy experts and research teams to help shape and structure findings and insights into digestible texts.
You will be joining an inventive Communications Team where all members take a hands-on approach. Our teamwork style is highly collaborative, yet with clear ownership of different streams and projects. We work closely with colleagues at all levels of the organisation, including the Executive Director and members of the strategy and research teams.
What will your main tasks and responsibilities be?
- Plan and produce social media content for the Foundation’s profiles on Twitter and LinkedIn
- Copy-writing and copy-editing support to colleagues working on research publications, namely the next Access to Medicine Index
- Reshaping published research into accessible take-aways: for, e.g., policy briefs, news releases, factsheets, webcopy, FAQs, direct mails
- Writing news articles and updates: for our websites, LinkedIn, newsletter, Twitter
- Writes quickly and crisply, to a brief, and in line with the house style
- Affinity for tailoring messages to specific audiences
- Proven ability to make complex ideas accessible
- Actively seeks feedback on drafts, and can rework a piece when needed
- Excellent at content-editing texts to improve style, structure, flow, robustness, and/or argumentation
- Proven ability to develop visuals (figures, infographics, icons, etc) that support the text
- Can manage editorial processes, including coordinating delivery of input and checking it meets the brief; giving appropriate feedback and guidance; getting appropriate sign-off and ensuring quality controls are completed
- Meticulous proof-reader with zero tolerance for error
- Proactive, with a proven ability to work independently as well as in a team, with a pragmatic, hands-on mentality
- Open and solutions-oriented, able to give and take feedback constructively
- Agile and stress-resistant, able to work to multiple deadlines and think creatively when under pressure
- Fully fluent in English (preferably as a first language), Dutch language skills are a plus
- Careful and thorough when it comes to fact-checking and/or interpreting results
- Available to start in November 2021
Experience and qualifications
- Essential: 2 years’ experience as a writer/editor (or equivalent) working on a wide variety of texts and deliverables (length, style, tone, purpose)
- Essential: Experience of synthesising complex research into accessible summaries and reports
- Essential: Experience of working in multiple project teams at the same time
- An advantage: working knowledge of global health issues and/or the healthcare sector and/or the pharmaceutical industry
- An advantage: qualifications in journalism, communications or editing
- Experience of using: MS Word (essential), InDesign (a plus), Illustrator or similar (a plus), MS PowerPoint (essential), WordPress (or similar), Excel (basic), InCopy (a plus).
Want to apply?
Is this the job for you? To apply, show us what you can do: send your CV (max. 2 pages) as well as a portfolio of your most relevant work (articles, reports, blog posts, letters…), with a motivation letter that explains why you will excel in this position appeals, and why you particularly want to join the Access to Medicine Foundation.
Please apply by email to Mireille Deen at email@example.com. Interviews will take place on a rolling basis. The application will not be considered unless it is complete and all supporting documentation has been provided. There will be no compensation for relocation costs.