The Access to Medicine Foundation is strengthening its research capacity and is looking for a researcher to join our team, motivated to guide pharmaceutical companies to do more for the two billion people in the world without access to the medicines they need.
1 year (with possibility of renewal)
At least 3 years
2,600 - 3,400 EUR per month gross
Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis
As soon as possible
We are looking for a researcher that is proactive, solution-oriented, self-motivated, curious, flexible, and would like to contribute to advancing the research activities at the Foundation. In this role you will excel as a team player who collaborates, communicates clearly and who also is willing to challenge peers.
The role may include the following responsibilities:
- Drive the analysis underpinning specific thematic areas of the Access to Medicine Index, including comparative company analysis and industry-wide trends. This includes development, maintenance and analysis of the Foundation’s product portfolio databases for companies’ in scope;
- Engage with external stakeholders as needed to develop the methodology for the Access to Medicine Index or any thematic study. This includes identifying, analysing, and presenting trends in the specific thematic areas of access to medicine defined in the Index;
- Evaluate company performance in access to medicine by analysing quality-controlled data obtained from research in the public domain and collected from direct companies’ data requests;
- Collaborate efficiently with other staff members in the research team(s) and those in charge of management, communications, operations and data management and engage with company representatives, as needed;
- Taking on additional tasks as required.
What we are looking for:
- An individual with a Masters or PhD degree in a life science or health related field, pharmacy (PharmD) or medical degree;
- Experience working with or within the pharmaceutical industry (especially in the context of companies’ access initiatives, market analysis on pipelines and products, or company country initiatives in low- and middle-income countries) is a plus. Being up to date on the latest developments in the pharmaceutical industry as related to R&D and access to medicine is a plus;
- An excellent critical thinker with solid qualitative and quantitative analytical skills - able to identify relevant trends and clinical/scientific projects of note in large data sets, to present data accurately and concisely with a sharp eye for detail and, to explain conclusions clearly.
- Advanced skills in Excel (and Office 365 in general). Experience with SPSS or STATA is a plus;
- Strong time management skills and the ability to set priorities to achieve multiple projects and deadlines, and to identify risks and opportunities and escalate these when appropriate in a timely manner to the line manager;
- Active communicator with excellent command of English, both spoken and written (academic and media styles).
What we offer you:
- A dynamic, innovative, international working environment;
- Being part of the development of reports, projects and events which stimulate and guide the pharmaceutical industry to improve access to medicines in low- and middle income countries;
- The possibility to work in a small, dedicated team where you can learn from each other;
- Benefits that include 25 holidays on an annual basis based on a fulltime employment, company pension scheme, holiday allowance and reimbursement of public transport to work (if living beyond 10KM from the office).
About the Access to Medicine Foundation
The Access to Medicine Foundation is a non-profit organisation based in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. Our mission is to stimulate and guide pharmaceutical companies to do more for the two billion people worldwide who cannot access the medicines they need. The core pillar of our work is researching how pharmaceutical companies address the affordability and accessibility of their products in low and middle-income countries. To turn our research into real-world change, we engage with leading organisations, including companies, NGOs and governments.
Our research products, the Access to Medicine Index and the Antimicrobial Resistance Benchmark, are valued by a wide network of experts and external stakeholders including pharmaceutical companies and industry watchers, governments, international agencies such as the United Nations and World Health Organization, pharma journalists, investors and global health professionals and academics. The Foundation also publishes stand-alone studies about the pharmaceutical industry. It identifies best practices, highlights where progress is being made, and uncovers where critical action is still required.
With these tools and outreach work, the Foundation provides both an incentive and a guide for pharmaceutical companies to do more to improve access to medicine. Each new product brings new opportunities to stimulate change and to advance the global debate on access to medicine. Quality research and analysis are essential activities within the Access to Medicine Foundation to achieve these change making goals.
How to apply
Interested in this exciting opportunity? Please send your cover letter with your motivation on why you would like to join the Access to Medicine Foundation and how you think you will fit in our team, your resume, the contact details of two references (e-mail address and/or phone number), and two writing samples (i.e. published article, thesis or white paper) to Mrs. Mireille Deen at email@example.com.
The application will not be considered unless it is complete and all supporting documentation has been provided. There will be no compensation for relocation costs.