Director of Research Operations
The Access to Medicine Foundation is looking for an experienced Director of Research Operations to oversee all research programmes undertaken by the Access to Medicine Foundation, such as the Access to Medicine Index and the Antimicrobial Resistance Benchmark.
1 year, renewable
Commensurate to experience.
€ 5.800,- – € 7.200,-
Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
As soon as possible.
About the Access to Medicine Foundation
The Access to Medicine Foundation is a non-profit organisation based in Amsterdam. Our mission is to stimulate and guide pharmaceutical companies to do more for the 2 billion people worldwide who cannot access the medicine they need. The core pillar of our work is researching how pharmaceutical companies address the availability, affordability and accessibility of their products in low- and middle-income countries. To turn our research into real-world change, we engage with leading organisations, including companies, NGOs and governments.
Role and responsibilities
We are looking for a Director of Research Operations to oversee the Foundation’s research programmes. The Director of Research Operations will sit on the Foundation’s Management Team.
The main responsibilities include:
• Ensuring our research programmes are steered toward the mission and strategic goals of the Foundation;
• Overseeing team organization, staffing approach, program schedule, deliverable content and quality, as well as overall performance and success of research programmes, including the Access to Medicine Index and Antimicrobial Resistance Benchmark;
• Ensuring that programme outputs are delivered on time, within agreed-upon scope, and within budget;
• Monitoring and controlling scope, schedule, and cost to enable program outcomes and deliver high-quality work products that trace back to program objectives;
• Supervising the work of the different research programmes, and ensuring the excellent quality and timeliness of the programme outputs;
• Managing the development of the different methodologies for each research programme, through a comprehensive process of multi-stakeholder dialogue and expert consultation;
• Ensuring an efficient process of data-collection and analysis, including overseeing planning and operation of the Foundation's data-management system;
• Collaborating efficiently with the Management Team and other staff members;
• Briefing executive leadership, supervisory board and donors on progress, updates, status, and next steps;
• Coordinating the research of the Foundation with other global health initiatives, such as those of multilateral organisations (WHO, Gavi, UN agencies, etc.) and non-governmental organisations;
• Representing the research work of the Foundation at conferences and external events.
The Director of Research Operations will report to the Executive Director.
What are we looking for
What are we looking for:
• A PhD or Master’s degree, in a research, health or communications field;
• Profound knowledge of global health and the pharmaceutical business;
• At least 5 years’ experience in leading teams, managing operations, resource and budget planning, and directing research or publication projects;
• Proven experience in identifying, managing, and communicating program risks and issues, including the development of risk mitigation and minimization strategies program-wide;
• Excellent command of English, both spoken and written;
• Expertise in conceptualising, developing, maintaining and using databases and data collection/analysis systems;
• Skilled in both advanced quantitative and qualitative analyses; and
• Team player who enjoys going the extra mile.
What do we offer you?
• A dynamic, innovative, international working environment and be part of the development of reports which stimulate and guide the pharmaceutical industry to improve access to medicines in low- and middle-income countries.
• The possibility to work in a small, dedicated team where you can learn from each other.
• Benefits that include 25 holidays on an annual basis based on a full-time employment, company pension scheme, holiday allowance and reimbursement of public transport to work (if living beyond 10KM from the office).
More about Research at the Foundation
The Access to Medicine Foundation analyses and compares pharmaceutical companies’ policies and practices regarding access to medicine in low- and middle-income countries. We benchmark companies against each other, and identify best practices and progress gaps. Our main research programmes in the next two years are the Access to Medicine Index and the Antimicrobial Resistance Benchmark.
The Access to Medicine Index is a biennial evaluation of 20 of the world’s largest research-based pharmaceutical companies. The Antimicrobial Research Benchmark is a tool that tracks how pharmaceutical, generic and biopharmaceutical companies are responding to the global increase in drug-resistance. The Foundation also publishes the first Access to Vaccines Index, and thematic studies focused on priority access topics, such as improving access to cancer care.
These research programmes each have a dedicated Research Programme Manager, leading a team of four researchers.
How to apply
Interested in this exciting opportunity? Please send your cover letter with your motivation on why you would like to join the Access to Medicine Foundation and how you think you will fit in our team, your resume, the contact details of two references (e-mail address and/or phone number), and twos writing samples (i.e. published article, thesis or white paper) to Mrs Mireille Deen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The application will not be considered unless it is complete and all supporting documentation has been provided. There will be no compensation for relocation costs.