Director of Operations and Research
The Access to Medicine Foundation is looking for an experienced Director of Operations and Research to oversee all operations and research programmes and its outputs undertaken by the Access to Medicine Foundation, such as the Access to Medicine Index, the Antimicrobial Resistance Benchmark, and all operational and research outputs for the future.
1 year, renewable
At least 8 years
Commensurate to experience.
€ 6.000,- – €8.200,-
Amsterdam, the Netherlands
As soon as possible
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis
About the Access to Medicine Foundation
The Access to Medicine Foundation is a non-profit organisation based in Amsterdam. Our mission is to stimulate and guide pharmaceutical companies to do more for the 2 billion people worldwide who cannot access the medicine they need. The core pillar of our work is researching how pharmaceutical companies address the availability, affordability and accessibility of their products in low- and middle-income countries. To turn our research into real-world change, we engage with leading organisations, including companies, NGOs and governments.
We are looking for a Director of Operations and Research to oversee the Foundation’s research programmes and outputs and ensuring these are steered toward the mission and strategic goals of the Foundation.
Role and responsibilities
The main responsibilities include:
- Operationalizing the strategy of the Foundation for the upcoming years, facilitating strategic decision making, goal setting, knowledge sharing and collaboration across teams;
- Overseeing team organization, staffing and allocation of resources, programme schedule, deliverable content and quality, as well as overall performance and success of operations and research programmes, including the Access to Medicine Index and Antimicrobial Resistance Benchmark;
- Ensuring that research and/or other programme outputs are delivered on time, within agreed-upon scope, and within budget, managing key metrics to ensure deliverables are met;
- Monitoring and controlling scope, schedule, and cost to enable program outcomes and deliver high-quality work products that trace back to programme objectives;
- Supervising the work of the different operational and research programmes, including guidance mentorship and coaching and ensuring the excellent quality and timeliness of the programme outputs;
- Refining current systems for managing, streamlining, collecting, processing and sharing complex data and operations;
- Ensuring an efficient process of data-collection and analysis, including overseeing planning and operation of the Foundation's data-management and handling system;
- Overseeing the development of the different methodologies for each research programme, through a comprehensive process of multi-stakeholder dialogue and expert consultation;
- Collaborating efficiently with the Management Team and other staff members;
- Developing and briefing executive leadership, supervisory board and donors on financials, performance, progress, updates, and plans;
- Representing the overall research work of the Foundation at conferences and external events.
The Director of Operations and Research will report to the Executive Director, and will be part of the Foundation’s Management Team. He/she will be overseeing all operations including Programme Planning Committees and may be the Management Team member overseeing all operations and planning.
What are we looking for
- Advanced degree(s) in a research, health or communications field, or in business, finance, international development, non-profit management (PhD, MBA);
- At least 8 years of senior management experience of operations and research. Candidates with an advanced master’s degree with more than 8 years of experience may also be considered;
- Knowledge and experience in management of healthcare and the pharmaceutical/healthcare business;
- At least 8 years demonstrated experience in management of large operational projects, leading teams, managing operations for organization, resource and budget planning, and directing research projects and publications;
- Expertise in conceptualising, developing, maintaining and using databases and data collection/analysis systems, skilled in both advanced quantitative and qualitative analyses;
- Excellent command of English, both spoken and written;
- Keen analytical, organizational and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision making;
- Strong team player who motivates others and is committed to go the extra mile;
- Demonstrated experience in identifying, managing, and communicating programme plans, risks and issues, including the development of risk mitigation and minimization strategies programme-wide.
What we offer you
- A dynamic, innovative, working environment with an international team based in our Amsterdam office;
- Be part of the development of reports which stimulate and guide the pharmaceutical industry to improve access to medicines in low- and middle-income countries;
- The possibility to work in a small, dedicated team where you can learn from each other;
- Benefits that include 25 holidays on an annual basis based on a fulltime employment, company pension scheme, holiday allowance and reimbursement of public transport to work (if living beyond 10KM from the office).
More about Research at the Foundation
The Access to Medicine Foundation analyses and compares pharmaceutical companies’ policies and practices regarding access to medicine in low- and middle-income countries. We benchmark companies against each other, and identify best practices and progress gaps. Our main research programmes in the next two years are the Access to Medicine Index and the Antimicrobial Resistance Benchmark.
The Access to Medicine Index is a biennial evaluation of 20 of the world’s largest research-based pharmaceutical companies. The Antimicrobial Research Benchmark is a tool that tracks how pharmaceutical, generic and biopharmaceutical companies are responding to the global increase in drug-resistance. The Foundation also publishes the first Access to Vaccines Index, and thematic studies focused on priority access topics, such as improving access to cancer care.
These research programmes each have a dedicated Research Programme Manager, leading a team of approximately four researchers. The Research programme manager sits in a Programme Planning Committee with the Operations manager, Company Engagement manager and the Head of Communications. The Director of Operations and Research will oversee the results of these committees.
How to apply
Interested in this exciting opportunity? Please send your cover letter with your motivation on why you would like to join the Access to Medicine Foundation and how you think you will fit in our team, your resume, the contact details of two references (e-mail address and/or phone number), and two writing samples (i.e. published article, thesis or white paper) to Mrs. Mireille Deen at email@example.com.
The application will not be considered unless it is complete and all supporting documentation has been provided. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and interviews will begin as soon as possible.
There will be no compensation for relocation costs.